Contract Of Service (COS)
COS adopts scheme of service, grade and salary rate as stipulated in Public Service. Salary is paid under Budget Provision OS11000 or OS 29000 as follows:
- Provision OS11000 - Contract appointment based on existing post. Placement arrangement for contract appointee is under the purview of Appointing Authority
- Provision OS 29000 - Contract appointment which is not based on existing post. The appointment however is pegged to existing scheme or service, grade and salary rate used in Public Service. Establishment under OS29000 is subject to BPO’s approval.
Contract For Service (CFS)
CFS does not adopt scheme of service, grade, salary rate and regulation as stipulated in Public Service. Ministry of Finance is the sole body to approve and determine the terms of condition for any CFS appointment application.
Establishment of New Agency refers to an implication study which results in additional number of agency in the Public Sector. Any proposal to establish a new agency should be tabled to the JKTT Meeting chaired by the Chief Secretary to the Government. Once approved, it creates a new additional programme in the establishment warrant.
Establishment of Office/Branch also would create a new additional/alteration of programme in the establishment warrant.
Organisational Restructuring Study involves alteration/changes to the existing organisational structure in any agency. This study requires justifications from the agency which involves its strategic plan/rebranding blueprint. The study results in alteration/changes in activity/programme in the establishment warrant.
Organisational Strengthening/Consolidation Study involves proposal to create additional post/alteration of warrant details without affecting the existing organisational structure of the agency. It also does not result in alteration/changes in activity/programme in the establishment warrant.
Among the methods used are as follows:
- Relativity and Parity
Study on an agency’s establishment/staffing needs based on its function through comparison with a more established agency.
A standard and complete structure which is developed to serve as a reference/guidance in establishment application.
A technique that uses certain elements/criteria which individually carries a certain mark/weight as a basis in decision making.
- Establishment Ratio
A ratio of workload as compared to number of posts needed.
- Establishment Norm
A standard norm which is used to determine the right establishment/posts and organisational structure based on agencies' function/roles.
Among the important methods that should be considered in performing the study are as follows:
|Post Grade Changes Study||Establishment Strenghthening Study|
|Equal Comparison||Establishment Ratio|
|Establishment Model||Establishment Model|
Premiere Grade and Special Grade are categorised in the same group i.e Top Management Group. The differences of both grades are:
- Premiere Grade - A grade/post which functions involves management and policy making. Eg: Director General in a Department.
- Special Grade - A grade/post which recognise one’s expertise and experience in special fields; not involving management and strategic tasks. Eg: Medical Expert in a hospital.
Open Posts are created to enable the posts to be filled by officers from any schemes of service whom skills/expertise are required to do the job. Apart of that, Open Posts also provide career development for 'closed service' organisation because of the flexibility in filling the posts. However, Open Posts cannot be used for the purpose of incumbent’s promotion and confirmation in service. To enable incumbent’s promotion and confirmation, an application should be submitted to Organizational Development Division (BPO) to change the status of an Open Post to a Closed Post.
Issue No.1 (Employment of staff to fill in promotional grade W48)
If the Agency Y is provided with a promotional grade, the agency has to apply to BPO (scheme of service branch) for staff appointment. This is to ensure that the appointee/incumbent is eligible for retirement benefits.
Issue No.2 (No insertion grade in the agency)
Insertion grade is a layer of grade for scheme of service to cater incumbent’s promotion such as grade 44, 48, 52 and 54. Based on the case above, there are three (3) suggestions for Agency Y:
- Changing the current grade to flexi grade. Eg: Accountant Grade W41/W44;
- Implementing promotion to insertion grade on Special to Holder basis. Eg: Accountant Grade W41 is place at Grade W41 (Special to Holder); or
- Creating a new insertion grade/post. Eg: Accountant Grade W44.
However, all the three suggestion have to be furnished by strong justifications for PSD’s consideration. Eg: additional workload, change in job scope etc.
The agency is advice to apply for new promotional grade/post. However, creation of new promotional post cannot be considered if there is no additional workload to suit the new post. PSD does not recommend the creation of Special to Holder (KUP) post as a solution to this issue in Statutory Bodies for some factors:
- creation of KUP post in Statutory Bodies can only be considered by the Promotion Board which is also represented by the Ministry of Finance and Public Service Department (PSD);
- creation of KUP post without justified workload can adversely affect the organisation’s productivity; and
- creation of KUP post without thorough consideration can result in structure defect in any organisation.
KUP post can only be created by Public Service Department (PSD) when an officer is promoted to higher grade but there is no suitable post to accommodate him/her. In the above case, the KUP post for Administrative Assistant (Clerical/Operational) Grade N22 cannot be created because the officer’s actual post is Grade N17 albeit she is acting for Grade N22.
Agency with separated remuneration refers to statutory body/agency which is established under the provision of Parliament Act/State Enactment.
- Agency with separated remuneration and released means that the agency is free to determine the direction of its organisation including managing its source of income, remuneration (salary and staffing) without the need to obtain approval from the Federal Agency such as Public Service Department (PSD). The examples of this kind of agency are the Pilgrimage Management and Fund Board (LUTH) and the Employees Provident Fund (KWSP).
- Agency with separated remuneration but not released means that the agency is still subject to the Federal Agency’s approval in terms of staffing (establishment and schemes of service). The only agency of this kind is the Internal Revenue Board (LHDN).
10. There are three (3) candidates who have been appointed as Assistant Science Officer Grade C27. Each of them possesses a Diploma in Science from Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Diploma in Laboratory Technology from Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) and Diploma in Rubber and Plastic Technology from UiTM, respectively. What is the appropriate initial salary that should the three (3) candidates received?
The Scheme of Service for Assistant Science Officer stipulated that the academic qualification required for appointment to the post of Assistant Science Officer Grade C27 is as follows:
- Malaysian Higher School Certificate (STPM) (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1T1); or
- Diploma in Science (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1T1); or
- Diploma in Laboratory Technology (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1T5); or
- iv. Diploma in Industrial Chemistry or Microbiology (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1T6).
Therefore, initial salary received by candidates with Diploma in Science and Diploma in Laboratory Technology qualifications should be P1T1 and P1T5, respectively. Meanwhile, since the Diploma in Rubber and Plastic Technology is recognized as equivalent to Diploma in Industrial Chemistry, therefore the initial salary that should be received by candidate with this qualification is P1T6.
With the abolishment of Salary Matrices when the Service Circular No. 1 Year 2012 – Salary Increase for Federal Public Service Officer Under Malaysia Renumeration System were implemented, the initial salary for the Assistant Science Officer, effective from 1st January 2012 is changed as follows:
- Malaysian Higher School Certificate (STPM) (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1 RM1373.11); or
- Diploma in Science (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1 RM1373.11); or
- Diploma in Laboratory Technology (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1 RM1673.91); or
- Diploma in Industrial Chemistry or Microbiology (Initial salary at Grade C27: P1 RM1749.12).
Although RMP and MAF are part of the Malaysian Public Service, these two services are unique and have more stringent and complex Command and Control elements. Therefore, no comparison should be made between RMP, MAF and other Malaysian Public Service.
MEQ allows the Appointing Authority to recruit candidates with various levels and fields of qualification. The main purpose of MEQ is to attract and retain competent and high performance human capital to serve the need of public services. MEQ are categorized as follows:
- MEQ based on various fields of academic discipline or professional qualification (e.g. Science, Economy, full membership with Malaysian Institute of Accountants etc.);
- MEQ based on the level of academic qualification (e.g. Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree etc.).
A KUP post is created to accomodate the grade of the incumbent when there is a difference between the incumbent’s actual grade and the positions grade that he/she is assigned. The post will be terminated right after the incumbent leaved the service.
Conditions to enable application especially for KUP post are:
- reasons of interest of the service:
- The incumbent was promoted whereas the post was not being upgraded; or
- The position held by the incumbent was being upgraded/ downgraded;
- to accommodate officers who are still occupying the obsolete post; or
- due to changes in Government Policies as a result of the enforcement letter by JPA, Numbered 12, Year 2009-Implementation of Promotion for Support Group Officer with 15 years of service or more in Scheme of Services and Current Services.
As Malaysian national language, Bahasa Melayu is the principal communication medium in Malaysia. Therefore, all public servants are required to have a good command of the language to ensure effective communication with their clients. Determination of qualification levels are based upon the need of individual services. Qualifications level used are either a pass or honours in any of the three major examinations (i.e. Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM), Penilaian Menengah Rendah (PMR) atau Sijil Rendah Pelajaran (SRP)). However, for scheme of service that requires academic qualification lower than PMR/SRP, a satisfactory command in Bahasa Melayu is sufficient.
The Appointing Authority (PBM) is well informed on the issue of recruiting for critical posts. All aspects of the freeze order will be reviewed to ensure no shortage of manpower in the moratorium period. The freeze order is effective from 20 May 2011 to 31 August 2011. After the period, the recruitment process is back to normal.
- Top Management : Jusa C – Staff Grade I;
- Management and Professional : Grade 41 – Grade 54;
- Support Group with Diploma/STPM qualification : Grade 27 – Grade 40;
- Support Group with SPM qualification : Grade 17 – Grade 26; and
- Support Group with PMR/SRP qualification and lower: Grade 1 – Grade 16.
17. Mr. Mikhail is a graduate from University of Toledo, Ohio, USA in Bachelor of Sc. in Chemical Engineering Engine (Process Design). He would like to apply for jobs in the Public Service but before that, he needs to check whether his academic qualification meets the requirements of the Scheme of Service. Is there any channel provided by JPA to check the recognition of an academic qualification for the purpose of appointment into the Public Service?
Recognition of an academic qualification can be checked through the website of the Recognition of Qualification Unit, Human Capital Development Division, JPA.
Appointment to the post of Administrative Assistant (Finance) Grade W17 requires a minimum qualification of SPM besides two (2) higher qualifications (i.e. Sijil Perdagangan Malaysia and Polytechnics Certificate in Business Administration or Bookkeeping). Therefore, the officer is eligible to receive higher initial salary as stipulated in the scheme of service for Administrative Assistant (Finance). However, since a diploma qualification is not listed as requirement for appointment to the post of Administrative Assistant (Finance) Grade W17, therefore an officer with a diploma qualification is not eligible to receive higher initial salary based on his/her diploma qualification. But with his/her diploma qualification, he/she could apply for the post of Accountant Assistant Grade W27 through available channel (i.e application by serving officer or Promotion by Appointment (KPSL)) since the scheme of service for Accountant Assistant requires a Diploma in Commerce or Accountancy Studies for appointment to Grade W27.
Any application for additional new posts can be done through redeployment or trade-off with current post by taking into account Government’s current direction.
Advertisement for any vacant post must state the requirements as stipulated in the scheme of service. Since the scheme of service for Administrative Officer does not specifically requires degree in certain fields (apart from bachelor degree in Law), therefore the Appointing Authority cannot put specific degree as requirement to apply for the vacant post. However, the Appointing Authority may conduct a screening process to select suitable candidate.
Audio Visualist service is one of the 13 services involved in the implementation of Service Circular No. 1 Year 2011 – Malaysia Skills Certificate Qualification For Appointment Into The Public Service, effective from 1 January 2011. Based on the service circular, incumbents with the Malaysia Skills Certificate Level 2 or 3 are eligible for salary adjustment based on terms and conditions as stipulated in the circular.
All existing scheme of service in Malaysian Public Service are continuously improved in line with the need of the service and changes in job functions. Hence, PSD take note and will consider the request when there is a study conducted to improve the scheme of service in the future.
- Corporate Info
- JPA Profile
- Organisational Chart
- Chronology of DGPS
- Message From DGPS
- Programme & Division
- Client's Charter
- Calendar of Events
- Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- PUSPANITA JPA
- PS Transformation Framework
- PS Transformation Symbol
- Transformation Initiatives
- Idea Hatch
- Transformation Gallery
- Our Achievements
- Joint Department Council
- Scheme of Service & Establishment
- Allowances and Incentives
- Training / Sponsorship
- Psychology and Counselling
- Political Civil Servants
- Contact Us
- Media Centre
- JPA Staff